For the Lemon Custard:
For the tart crust:
- 1 ½ cups light coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons + 3 teaspoons filtered water
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Fatworks Leaf Lard
- 8 ounces mixed fresh berries
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Inactive time: 4 hours
Servings: 4 mini tarts
Leaf Lard, Pure Lard
Gluten Free, Paleo Friendly
Prepare the Lemon Custard:
Stir together the coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a mild simmer. Cover and remove from the heat for 5 minutes. Strain out the lemon zest.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, tapioca starch, honey, and sea salt. While whisking continuously, add a small amount of the lemon coconut milk to the egg mix. Once combined, add the remaining lemon coconut milk. Whisk until very smooth.
Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Whisk continuously until the sauce thickens considerably, about 10 minutes. (Note: if you stop whisking, the eggs will burn on the bottom of the pan.)
4. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the custard out into a large container with a lid. If you see any bits, you can press through a sieve for a smoother custard. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Add in the ghee and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Cover with a lid and refrigerate until fully chilled, about 4 hours.
Prepare the crust:
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 4 4-inch tart pans (those with a removable base work best). A 9” tart pan will work but cook time will increase slightly.
Mix 3 tablespoons of filtered water with the coconut palm sugar until the sugar has mostly dissolved. Stir in the gelatin and set aside 3 minutes to allow it to “bloom.”
Add the almond flour, arrowroot starch, and sea salt to the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse repeatedly until combined. Add the bloomed gelatin and process until the gelatin is well-incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add the Leaf Lard and process again until the mixture is crumbly, about 15 seconds. Add the remaining water 1 teaspoon at a time until the dough begins to stick together in a ball (the amount of water needed can vary based on the humidity in your area).
Dump out the dough and press it into a circle. Divide into 4 portions. Press the dough into the 4 tart pans, working the dough along the bottom and up the sides with lightly greased hands. Prick each base 3-4 times with a fork to keep the crust from rising too much. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden (add 2-4 minutes if using a single tart pan). Cool completely before filling.
Portion the Lemon Custard between the 4 tart shells. Top with your favorite berries and enjoy!