- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons Fatworks Lard, or Fatworks Beef, Lamb or Buffalo Tallow
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 4 celery stalks, halved and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into large chunks
- 2 chayote or zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Water – enough to cover the beef and bones (or beef stock, see note below)
- 1-2 teaspoons oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish – chopped cilantro, finely diced onion, and lemon or lime wedges
Note: If you are only using beef stew meat and are not using beef shanks, replace the water with beef stock. If you like your soup spicey, add a chopped jalapeno or a few dashes of hot sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 120 minutes
Buffalo Tallow, Lamb Tallow, Leaf Lard, Pure Lard, Pure Tallow, Schmaltz (Chicken Fat)
Gluten Free, Keto, Paleo Friendly, Whole30
In a large soup pot, heat the lard or tallow over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper the beef stew meat. Add the stew meat and bones and brown the meat for about 7-10 minutes.
Add enough water to cover the beef and bones.
Add the onions and garlic cloves and bring to a boil.
Turn down to a simmer and let cook for about 1-2 hours or until the beef is very tender.
Add the remaining veggies, salt, and oregano and cook until the veggies are fork tender. If you are using zucchini, add the zucchini just before the other veggies are done as the zucchini will only take a few minutes to cook. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in large bowls garnished with chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and lemon or lime wedges if desired.