- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 jalapenos (add more if you want a spicier chili)
- 8 ounces diced green chilies or fresh chilies if available
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork should cut into 1-inch cubes or 1 1/2 pounds shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons Fatworks Grass-Fed Tallow or Chicken Schmaltz
- Top with chopped cilantro, green onion, cheese and sour cream
Buffalo Tallow, Lamb Tallow, Pure Tallow, Schmaltz (Chicken Fat)
Gluten Free, Keto, Paleo Friendly, Whole30
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a cast iron skillet melt 1 tablespoon Fatworks Tallow. Add the poblanos and jalapenos, coating all sides with the melted Tallow.
Use another cast iron skillet to melt 1 tablespoon Tallow. Add the chopped red onions, coating all sides with the melted Tallow.
Place both skillets in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally and turning the peppers so that all sides are roasted evenly.
Brown the pork shoulder in the remaining tablespoon of Fatworks Tallow. If using the shredded rotisserie chicken, this step is optional.
When the skins of the peppers are blistered, remove from oven and let cool until easy to handle. When cool remove the stems (and seeds if you want less heat), peel off the blistered skin and dice the peppers.
In a large pot add all ingredients, except cilantro. Simmer on medium heat until chicken is cooked or if using pork cook until it’s very tender and cooked thoroughly.
When chili is ready, stir in chopped cilantro, green onion, cheese, sour cream and serve.
Note to Fatworkers: Fatworks Green Chili is tastiest the following day, allowing the flavors to intensify overnight. For a thicker chili, blend 1 to 2 cups green chili in a blender, add back to pot and stir.