- 1 tablespoon cooking fat of choice (we recommend Fatworks Leaf Lard or Wild Boar Lard)
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups red potatoes, skin-on, 1⁄2 inch dice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces cooked ham, 1⁄4 inch dice
- 2 cups kale, tightly packed, torn into small pieces (about 1⁄2 bunch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Red pepper flakes, optional
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Leaf Lard, Wild Boar
Gluten Free, Paleo Friendly, Whole30
Place a Dutch oven or other large pot with a lid over medium heat. Add fat and when melted, add onion, carrot, celery, and leeks. Saute for 57 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions start to soften.
Add garlic, stir and cook an additional 30 seconds.
Add potatoes, broth and thyme. Bring soup just to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender about 30 minutes, depending on how large they are and how vigorous the simmer.
When vegetables are tender, insert an immersion blender into the soup on one side of the pot and process until creamy. Stir to mix the part you just pureed into the other half of the soup (you can also remove 1⁄2 of the soup and process it in a blender or food processor then return it to the pan).
Add diced ham and kale continue to heat until ham is warm and kale is wilted. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve.
Serving size: 1⁄5th recipe
Calories: 322 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 30g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 1175mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 19g